Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Quilts and zentangles

23" x 25"

Recently I decided to follow the guidelines in a book, Kaleidoscope Quilts, by Paula Nadelstern. This is my first attempt. Paula does outstanding detailed work that makes my pieces seem every so humble.There are actually only four fabrics with bead work added. But I wanted to show you the quilting in the background.


First, it was very brave of me to use contrasting thread. I chose a varigated blue shiny thread. Then, I got into the zentangle mode and created shapes that, in the end, look like pebbles. This technique is called freemotion quilting where the quilt is moved as the needle is going up and down.. I am not restricted to straight lines. Basically, I was as free as if I had picked up a pen. This process made me realize that quilters have been doing zentangles for a long time-before the name became popular. Art expressed in a different form.

9 comments:

nanke's stuff said...

I've made quilts, but never had the nerve to do free-motion quilting with contrasting thread. My hat's off to you! Well done, and it looks just great!! nancy

Unknown said...

Wow, Sandra!! That looks amazing; amazing, and hard to do! I would never have the patience for that!

debra morris said...

Very cool Sandra

Cathy Holtom said...

That's the sort of thing I've always fancied doing (and having), your quilting is lovely.

Art is for the Making said...

Fabulous! The look is wonderful.

prettyartybuildings said...

that is fantastic! So original and so pleasing to look at. I imagine the photos do not do it justice and it looks even lovlier in real life!

Alex said...

Now that's a whole new level of creativity! =) They look awesome!! And I am pretty sure these will stay forever too.
Oh yeah Sandra, you need to come and visit Breaux Bridge =)

Yevgenia Watts said...

It's awesome! I especially like the background. It pays being brave :)

Dan Kent said...

These are absolutely beautiful! This is real art!