Friday, July 23, 2010

The first step


OK, I've taken the first step. This is a page in the Art Sketch Journal. There are so many thoughts that went through my mind before starting. Yes, I changed the paper as I know that most of my work will be in pen and the original paper was too thin. The subject is lines and grids. One bonus of this project is that I am more aware of lines from nature and from other art pieces. Getting over the thought that this is really not meant to be a piece of art for final publication in a book for all time, I was able to grasp "journal". I'm looking forward to the rest of the pieces that will go into this project.


Thought I'd share a plant from my backyard. I call this a Lion's Tail, but I couldn't find the official name, so it may go by another name. It's fun to watch as each stalk keeps growing and may add up to 10 "tails". This is the biggest it has ever gotten and summer is not over.

5 comments:

Alex said...

I still remember my first art sketch about a year and half ago...I wasn't even sure if I was going to the 2nd page =) But I am glad I took the first step... it's always the hardest but that's what going to bring you somewhere where you want to be. Congratulations!

nanke's stuff said...

Great start in your Art Sketch Journal - I haven't gotten up the courage to do it, yet. I've never heard of those flowers, but how cool they are! nancy

Unknown said...

Forgive me, I'm not sure I understand the art journal thing. You've been doing one all along, right? Is this a special project or something? Love your first page.

And wow! I've never seen anything like that plant! How very interesting! You know, I've had an aloe vera plant for over ten years. This year, it grew a giant stalk and had a whole bunch of flowers on it. It had never done that before so I didn't even realize they flowered! Turns out, this type blooms about once every fifteen years!

Sandra said...

To learn more about the Sketchbook Project you can check their site: http://www.thesketchbookproject.com

Dan Kent said...

A beautiful first page - love the beautiful patter and color scheme. What is your theme? Looks like the journal they give you won't work for watercolors, right? (It's something I might like to do, and probably should do, since it would force me to do something different.) That is a stunning plant too - love the color of the plant, never seen one like it.