Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Quilt in the style of Mackintosh

Sometimes you get excited about a project. It happened to me with this quilt challenge from my Pins and Needles Art Group. We are to make a 12x12" quilt that reflects our favorite artist. Oops! just reread the instructions and it was supposed to be our favorite quilt artist. Oh well, I'll just have to enjoy what I've done. I chose Charles Rennie Mackintosh (1868-1928). Can't say that I have just one favorite artist, but I do like his work. He was an architect, designer and artist. He produced over 120 different designs in textiles. He also created in wood, metal, glass and plaster. He did quite a number of floral watercolors. There is even a Society that honors his work from the Arts and Craft movement. Mackintosh was influenced by Japanese art.


In my stash of fabrics I found some pink and light blue that I had dyed. I used a colored pencil to punch up the light blue a bit. The black is a fusible bias tape that I securely sewed after ironing it on. There is just something about this piece that delights me.

10 comments:

bettyfromtexas said...

This is so very cool, Sandra!! I love the graphic quality of it!

Anonymous said...

What a lovely piece you have made! I,too, am fond of Mackintosh's work. There is a house that he redesigned in Northampton,which I visited with my daughter, who lives in Northampton. I think that this is the only work he did in England.
I have added the link in case you would care to look, but I fear the site is very slow to load. The house was beautiful, although very small.

http://www.78derngate.org.uk/

Alex said...

This looks wicked cool! :) Love how bold it turns out

Sue Brown said...

This is brilliant Sandra - very much in his style :)

Ann said...

Oh, Mackintosh is one of my favorites too! This is gorgeous! Should be an awesome quilt.

Kathleen Walker said...

Sandra, nicely done, just a FYI, colored pencil will wash out, though with a small quilt you aren't likely to wash it, get some Derwent Inktense pencils, if you heat set them they are permanent, though of course some colors may fade.

kazumiwannabe said...

I share your delight, it's a wonderful piece! Awesome idea for a quilt!
It's funny, I just learned about Charles Rennie Mackintosh a few days ago and fell in love with his tainted glass artwork (in this same style)!

Cathy Holtom said...

I love this, one of my favourites too.

nanke's stuff said...

This is so cool! You did such a great job with it! nancy

meegan said...

that's such a lovely design.