Sunday, March 18, 2012

Watercolor Lesson & a Challenge

Amazingly, I've hung in there to complete lesson four from the book, Guide to Painting Realistic Water Colors by Dawn McLeod Heim. As I move forward there are more colors and a bit more "looseness" on where to place the colors. A sometimes scary prospect for me. However, my husband could finally recognize the subject matter. Yes, one chick has his back to you.


My other project is a challenge for the Pins and Needles Art Quilters. They are a creative group that is helping to push me. There was an internet group that has published a book called Twelve by Twelve. Following the idea of doing a quilt 12"x12", we went with the following challenge. Three piles of suggestions were created. We each drew a Noun, a Color and a Theme. My three words were Bench, Turquoise and Ocean.


The following close up shows the bench which I created from a rubbing, a tiny clay snail which I added, the blanket from a knit scrap, and the sand which I added with glue. Oh yes, her hair is from cheese cloth which I had dyed.


Now, I have only a couple of days to prepare for my watercolor class. There is more freedom and I'm a tiny bit insecure working without detailed guidance.

9 comments:

Shirley said...

Love them both. Those are the cutest little ducklings.

Alex said...

Cute little fluffy ducklings!!! They are so well drawn. Your quilts and techniques are always amazing!

Unknown said...

Oh wow! Those ducklings are so well done! You're building an amazing amount of skill! And your quilts are so much like paintings!

Cathy Holtom said...

Those little ducklings really jump of the page they're so fluffy.
I like the idea of picking words from a hat to use as inspiration (might try it!)

Colleen said...

I love the quilt! I wish I could sew! :)

nanke's stuff said...

The ducklings are just wonderful, and the quilt is amazing! Well done! nancy

Pam Huggins said...

Your watercolor is amazing! I love the colors and thank you did a smashing job!
Your quilt is also spectacular. You rose to the challenge and created a wonderful art piece.

kazumiwannabe said...

Those little ducklings are adorable, all fluffy and sleepy!! Awesome work, and on your quilt too, it's beautiful and very original!

Yevgenia Watts said...

Great work! Hope you are enjoying your watercolor class! I'm getting back to teaching in a week.