Wednesday, July 14, 2010
This project is done with a method called needlefelting. The light blue is delicate wool that is punched into the darker blue felt. There is a layer of Angelina (shiny polyester fibers added next-they don't seem to show in this picture). The medium blue is also punched with the tool that has about 5 needles. I then put tulle (fine netting) over the entire piece, quilted it by hand and added the beads. Yes, the beads are sewn on one by one. Hey, I like to do that sort of detail. The binding was some silk that I had painted which I found in my stash.
The piece is 8 1/2" by 11". Designing in a monochromatic color scheme was a very big challenge. Now I'm working on another study in this technique.