Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Needlefelting


This project is done with a method called needlefelting. The light blue is delicate wool that is punched into the darker blue felt. There is a layer of Angelina (shiny polyester fibers added next-they don't seem to show in this picture). The medium blue is also punched with the tool that has about 5 needles. I then put tulle (fine netting) over the entire piece, quilted it by hand and added the beads. Yes, the beads are sewn on one by one. Hey, I like to do that sort of detail. The binding was some silk that I had painted which I found in my stash. 

The piece is 8 1/2" by 11". Designing in a monochromatic color scheme was a very big challenge. Now I'm working on another study in this technique.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

This is very pretty - lovely blues.

I have done a little needle felting - I punched me fingers a few times tho'!

Anonymous said...

It looks like a game for patience.
I like all the different shades and textures you used, not having done any sort of quilting it is hard to appreciate all the skills that technique requires I am sure!

Sharon P Pope said...

Your needlefelted piece is great, Sandra. I love the details you added.

I tried needlefelting a couple of months ago with a very small kit with two needles, after seeing needlefelted animals online, and I loved it. Am dying to try an animal next. Thanks for sharing yours! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, I have totally heard of this technique and have friend who does needle-felting beautifully...almost like little paintings! I've seen just that done in galleries in our area...you should try it Sandra, like a landscape or a tree or flower done with the luscious colors of wool. This is gorgeous by the way...very quilterly! (Is that a word?)