Thursday, July 1, 2010

Fused glass

An opportunity came up for me to try designing a fused glass plate. I really had no clue how to prepare and would certainly to it differently next time. However, this is the result. I started with a piece of clear glass, then  thin rods of the black were laid down to create a basic shape. If there is a next time, the design might be drawn out and put under the glass as a guide.  Scoring and breaking the little pieces was a challenge. The colored dots where just sprinkled onto the glass. Last, a second plate in the blue green color as added to perk it up. The glass is carefully placed in a kiln and there you have it. If nothing else, there is now a better appreciation of work by other artists!

9 comments:

Alex said...

I love it, looks like a snow flake!! It seems like a very hard thing to do, and those processes are so tedious, like you said..it helped you to appreciate the work itself and of other artists' =)

Mary said...

I love patterned glass and I think this is beautiful! I'd love to have a go at glassmaking myself.

Shirley said...

Wow! Wonderful project.

Peachtreeart said...

It sounds like a neat process...and you had a good experience doing it!

Vicki Holdwick said...

This is lovely. Who would guess that you were inexperienced in it.

Thanks for sharing,

xoxo

Yevgenia Watts said...

It's cool! I've always wanted to try making glass myself.

Unknown said...

I had the opportunity to try this once a couple of years ago. I made several sets of earrings and a couple of pendants. Having worked with it, I know how difficult it was to work with for a newbie. You did an excellent job!

Timaree said...

That's really neat. I'd want to buy all the stuff and make a bunch of them! I think it looks great sitting on the window sill too.

padmaja said...

Sandra, you have a great variety of amazing talent, I enjoyed a lot looking at them.This fused glass is a stunner!