Sunday, March 8, 2015

Light and Dark Study

For years I have walked around the book, Drawing the Light from Within by Judith Cornell, Ph.D. The art center had a book sale and this time I did not let it get away. There are two sections. The first part deals with paints and color and the second part is more on drawing. After a few simple marks with a 4B pencil that produce light to dark shading we were given this exercise to be done on a 18 x 24 inch piece of paper. We were advised to do random shapes and not try to convey a teacup or tree.


There was so much growth on my part from this exercise. I started on the left with rather small shapes. There was a great confidence surge after I realized that I could do larger shapes that were connected. Yes, it took over 12 hours, but well worth the time. Yes, I plan to do the next piece, but need to juggle all my different interests.

No comments: